while PAL cuts back capacity
August 6, 2010
Low cost airline Cebu Pacific said Wednesday that it would increase the number of flights to several international destinations as part of its expansion plan in the Asia-Pacific as three more A320's join their fleet this year. Meanwhile, flag carrier Philippine Airlines has reduced domestic flights after 25 of its pilots indiscriminately resigned last week.
Cebu Pacific is set to launch direct Manila-Brunei flights on August 21 and Manila-Beijing flights on September 5, while Philippine Airlines temporarily scrapped its Cebu-Davao flight, and reduced flights going to and from Manila and Ozamiz, Dipolog, Puerto Princesa and Cebu due to lack of pilots.
Cebu Pacific said in a statement that in its international expansion plan the current twice weekly flights from Manila to Kota Kinabalu will get an additional flight every Wednesday starting October 20, while flights from Manila to Taipei will operate daily Starting October 31 from its current five times weekly service. The Cebu-Singapore flights will also operate a daily service on October 31 and from December 15, three more flights will be added to the airline’s Manila-Kuala Lumpur service, for a daily frequency. The airline is also adding one more flights for its Manila to Jakarta route on December 19 making it four times weekly and double daily from Manila to Seoul starting Jan. 24, 2011.
Philippine Airlines international operations are not however affected. It has already submitted to the the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) a revised schedule with canceled and reduced frequencies to some of its domestic points.