Its Clark for AirAsia Philippines

March 25, 2011

AirAsia Inc., the Philippines-based affiliate of AirAsia Group announced yesterday that the airport in Clark, Pampanga will be its main hub in the country.

The airline plans to start operating international flights from the airport in the fourth quarter. The company announced plans for a $25-million capital expenditure last December.

AirAsia Philippines said Clark will become the 13th regional hub of the AirAsia Group. Other hubs of the group are located in Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Penang in Malaysia; Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai in Thailand; and Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya, Medan and Bali in Indonesia.

AirAsia Group has over 60 destinations in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Australia. AirAsia Philippines said the AirAsia Group has flown more than 100 million guests since its launch in 2001.

“Our choice of Clark underlines the airline’s commitment to developing transportation and tourism hubs outside Manila," AirAsia Inc. CEO Marianne Hontiveros said in a statement.

Selection of the airport will mean easy connectivity with Malaysia-based AirAsia Berhad, which has been flying to Clark from Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu since 2005.

“We plan to make Clark the hub for flights to popular destinations including Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Korea and Japan. Travel will become much easier and more affordable for tourists and overseas Filipino workers,” Hontiveros added.

The airline is 60% owned by Marianne B. Hontiveros, Antonio O. Cojuangco Jr. and Michael L. Romero, with AirAsia Berhad holding the remaining 40%.

AirAsia Philippines will have an initial fleet of 5 brand-new A320 planes which is on delivery schedule and will be gradually increase to 20 by 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment